Perspective. It was a perspective change that allowed Satan to deceive Adam and Eve. It was a perspective issue that allowed Noah to build an ark. Perspective led Abraham to a new life and perspective allowed him to lay his son on an altar. It was a perspective issue that caused the enslavement of the Israelites in Egypt and it was a perspective change that brought them out again. Perspective changes initiated the ebb and flow of the Israelite sin and redemption cycles. The teachings of Christ were about perspective: think of the Kingdom of God like it’s a mustard seed.
There’s a prophet in the Old Testament with an unfortunate name. It’s like the doctor asked his dad what he should be named and his dad sneezed: HABAKKUK! Habakkuk wrote a book in the bible that is a source of comfort for me. It is a perspective-fixing book that I often go to for hope. Habakkuk is the only prophet who doesn’t speak for God to the people but instead he speaks for the people to God and the questions he asks are the same questions that burden my heart.
This book was written during a period when Judah enjoyed its last bit of prosperity under King Josiah. The economic conditions during Habakkuk’s life would have been excellent and King Josiah was a good guy who was trying to lead his people into spiritual revival. But history has taught us spiritual revival is hard to cultivate in the soil of wealth and prosperity.
The book begins with Habakkuk yelling at God.
Chapter 1
v2 "How long, O LORD must I call for help? But you do not listen!"
v3 "I am surrounded by people who love to argue and fight."
v4 "The wicked far outnumber the righteous, so that justice has become perverted."
Habakkuk’s perspective is a righteous one, however, his heart is in the wrong place. He knows God doesn’t like sin and he knows God has the power to do anything He wants. So when he sees sin and evil at work all around him without God intervening, Habakkuk has to ask God, "Why aren’t you doing something about this?" The underlying thought is that God doesn’t care and that He can’t be bothered to get involved.
I know I’m not supposed to say this; I know I’m not even supposed to think this, but sometimes in my life I’ve been right where Habakkuk is in chapter 1. Stuff has hit the fan and everything stinks. Of course, if God is who He says He is then He totally could have stopped the stuff from hitting the fan ... but He didn’t. Now we’re left to ask the question, "Why?" But here’s the thing about God. God doesn’t like the question, "Why?" In fact, God has never answered any question of mine that began with the word "Why". Any time I’ve asked God, "Why?" He has always responded with another question which is a very difficult discussion to be in when all you want is answers.
When Job asked God, "Why?" God responded "Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself like a man, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them." (Job 38:2,3) Scary stuff, eh?
When Habakkuk asks God, "Why?" God responds:
Chapter 1
v5 "Look around and be amazed! I am doing something you wouldn’t believe."
v6 "I am raising up the Babylonians, a cruel and violent people."
v7 "They are notorious for their cruelty and do whatever they like."
Basically Habakkuk has complained to God about the lack of righteousness in God’s people. And God’s response is, "If you think I’ve been letting bad stuff happen before, just wait ‘til you see what I’m about to allow next!"
Habakkuk’s mind is messed up. His world is not right. This doesn’t make any sense. God doesn’t make sense. God isn’t who Habakkuk thought he was. His response to God is summed up:
Chapter 1
v12 "Surely you don’t plan to wipe us out?"
v13 "But you are pure and cannot stand the sight of evil. Will you wink at their treachery?"
v17 "Will you let them get away with this forever? Will they succeed forever in their heartless conquests?"
Then comes the verse for which Habakkuk is most famous: 2:1. "I will climb up to my watchtower and stand at my guardpost. There I will wait to see what the LORD says and how he will answer my complaint."
With this one statement, Habakkuk reveals the pride in his own heart. The motive and attitude revealed in this statement are that Habakkuk thinks God isn’t doing his job and that God needs to be held accountable. Which in essence is the same motive in my heart every time I ask God, "Why?"
Habakkuk has complained about the arrogance of his countrymen and the arrogance of the Babylonians but he has neglected the arrogance in himself until God’s response cuts Habakkuk to the core of his issue.
God compares the proud to the righteous,
Chapter 2
v4 "Look at the proud! They trust in themselves, and their lives are crooked. But the righteous will live by their faithfulness to God."
v5 "Wealth is treacherous, and the arrogant are never at rest. They open their mouths as wide as the grave, and like death they are never satisfied."
v16 "Drink from the cup of the LORD’s judgment, and all your glory will be turned to shame."
It was a personal issue for Habakkuk that unrighteous people were winning and that just wasn’t fair. God could prove himself and smite someone. That would get people’s attention and then they would start listening to me ... I mean then they would listen to what God has to say ... through me.
C.J. Mahaney explains that God’s response is an even greater expression of mercy toward Habakkuk and toward each of us. It’s an answer that will transform Habakkuk and one that ought to transform all of us who have turned from our sin and trust in Jesus. Faith is the key to gaining a divine perspective of perplexing and troubling circumstances. The bottom line as Habakkuk learns is that the proud ultimately will not prosper and that God’s purposes will prevail.
Chapter 2
v14 "For as the waters fill the sea, the earth will be filled with an awareness of the glory of the LORD."
V20 "But the LORD is in his holy Temple. Let all the earth be silent before him."
This encounter transforms Habakkuk’s heart. The prophet we now see bears no resemblance to the man we saw in chapters 1 and 2. He has been transformed from questioning to praying, from confusion to certainty, from being perplexed to fully trusting God. A cataclysmic change has occurred in the disposition of Habakkuk’s heart, and yet there has been absolutely no improvement in his circumstances. Nothing has changed and yet for Habakkuk’s heart, everything has changed. He’s no longer proud; his soul is no longer puffed up. Instead he’s humbly trusting God.
Chapter 3
v2 "I have heard all about you, LORD. I am filled with awe by your amazing works."
v8 "Was it in anger, LORD, that you struck the rivers and parted the sea? Were you displeased with them? No, you were sending your chariots of salvation!"
Perspective changes are never easy to come by. When things aren’t happening the way they’re supposed to - the way we think they should - it is easy to become alarmed and defensive. "I don’t deserve this! What did I do? Why is this happening to me? God, don’t you care about this?"
Instead we should be asking questions like, "God, what is your will in this situation? How can I participate with you in this? How can I use this circumstance to become more Godly?" The reality, despite our perspective, is that God’s judgement often comes for the sake of not only our salvation but also for the people around us and in our lives. It is when things are most dangerous that we most need to be rescued. It is when circumstances are most difficult that our faith becomes most necessary and most alive.
Habakkuk was looking at the most bleak circumstances of his life. Loss of security, economy, food and shelter. But at the end of it all, his perspective and his faith grew into something profound and he was able to say...
"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the LORD! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!"
(Habakkuk 3:17-18)
No comments:
Post a Comment