Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanks! From Pastor Mike

Thank you, CrossRoads, for allowing me to serve as your Children’s Pastor for the past 5 years. It has truly been good and a blessing in my life. The last five years have included many memories and highlights. When I first joined the CrossRoads team, children’s ministry was only happening at the 9:00 service but soon, with great volunteer support, we were able to begin an 11:00 service for children (and now at 6:30 too!). I think my first big event was an Elementary Kids sleepover and lock-in. I don’t think Jerry Dickman and I slept at all that night as the weather suddenly dropped below freezing and we feared kids sleep-walking out the doors, only to be locked out for the night. I do know that was the last time we did an event where we didn’t include parents!

The annual pancake breakfasts grew from a Children’s Ministry Only event that kicked-off our year in September to include all aspects of Family Ministry and then eventually providing pancakes for the entire church. Gummy bears on top of pancakes can’t be beat! A definite highlight was the year we did the breakfast out on the grass; the Family Ministry team choreographed a dance routine for our families to enjoy (at least I think they enjoyed it).

Throughout my five years at CrossRoads I have been blessed to work with many, many volunteers that have given their time to invest into kids’ and families’ lives, showing a weekly example of what it means to live with Jesus. Thank you to each of you. Huge thanks to the Woyke family, the Flewell family, Patrice, Cassie, Jan and Lori, and big Tim for being a constant presence in Children’s ministry for all five years. To each volunteer, God has gifted you – continue to use that gift. The reward of these volunteers serving in Children’s ministry is when a child asks you to baptize them so they can tell the world, "I love Jesus". Thank you to each child that gave me this amazing privilege.

Three years ago I was lamenting with our Jr. High pastor that I just didn’t think our elementary curriculum was connecting with our grade 5 students. He mentioned that he was struggling with what to do with his grade 6 students too. Through more meetings and talking with parents we launched a new program in children’s ministry called 56ers. The kids in this group of students changed annually and I loved every minute of hanging out with them. We invited parents to join us for events, giving us as leaders an opportunity to build friendships with the parents too. I need to thank all those who have served in this new ministry helping to create a dynamic experience for these kids where the curriculums no longer miss them but instead challenge and push them to a greater understanding of their faith. Special thanks to James, Mike and Carolyn who kicked off 56ers in 2008 and are still serving there today. 56ers have been given the opportunity to serve throughout the church on the 5th Sunday of a month (something they absolutely love). In the summer of 2010 I got to take ten 56ers and their parents on a mission trip to Minnesota. It is without a doubt my bestest** highlight in my time at CrossRoads. Seeing parents and their kids connecting in a new way, seeing solid friendships formed between the parents, seeing our kids as leaders, seeing Mackenzie sacrificing her shoelace to repair a roll of TP so a game of bucket ball could continue, celebrating Suzie’s birthday, seeing families renewing commitments to God and each other , seeing our kids outworking us adults daily - it was truly amazing. The trip is scheduled to go again in 2012 – if you have a 56er make sure you are on that bus!

**bestest: a word I use occasionally in 56ers, which I am continually told isn’t a word!

A dynamic change in Elementary Ministry was our curriculum change to Re-Think In 2010. This really defined what we are all about and gave specific purpose to each role on a Sunday. Re-Think challenges all of us (staff, volunteers and parents) to Think Orange. Thinking Orange means, "We want to combine the LOVE of the family (red) with the LIGHT of the church (yellow) to create a stronger impact...ORANGE. I really like that.

The biggest change was a year spent in an office that shook at times, power was cut off, many accidental fire drills and much time spent in planning and design meetings all culminating in the Grand Opening this year of the new Children’s Ministry expansion. I am still amazed as I walk the halls on a Sunday morning, looking into the classrooms and seeing volunteers making connections with their kids right at the start of the service. The new space has really made us more effective in teaching kids to live like Jesus.

The one question I have been asked over and over again since my decision to resign as the Elementary pastor has been, "Is it because we didn’t tell you enough that you were doing a good job?" I need to answer that with an emphatic, "NO – that isn’t the reason at all". I have felt huge blessing and support throughout my time at CrossRoads from kids, parents, volunteers, elders and the lead team. But I have also seen those who don’t have the title of "pastor" not get as appreciated and thanked often enough. My last challenge to you is to please, please appreciate those who volunteer with your kids every week. They give their time, use their God-given gifts and are partnering with you to raise your kids to love Jesus. So, especially as the Christmas season approaches please take the time to say thank-you.

Again, CrossRoads, I say thank you for 5+ great years, not good-bye.
~ Pastor Mike, Krystal, D-Man & Daisy Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment