Monday, November 28, 2011

Ready or Not?

By Pam Halvorson~
What does it take to acquire new thoughts, or behaviours? To really know something other than what one already knows? To learn, must one be ready to learn? What does ‘ready’ look like?

Recently, I had opportunity to ask some attenders of Celebrate Recovery, to finish a few sentences, in which they describe their experiences around attending the Ministry.

When I first thought about attending CR, I wondered - will this actually help me with my anger?

My first night at CR, I realized - WOW - I am not alone!

Since I have become involved in CR, my life is manageable. I’m now happily married to a wonderful lady. Living through Jesus I have never felt so complete in my entire life! Thanks to CR!

When I first thought about coming to CR, I was in need of healing from a broken marriage.

My first night at CR was an experience where I felt welcomed and not judged.

Since I became involved in CR, my life has experienced healing. I’ve received friendship. I have been
challenged to lead and I feel accepted.

When I first thought about coming to CR, I wasn’t sure that I needed a ‘recovery’ program. I was afraid that I’d need to talk about things that I didn’t want to talk about, that it would be uncomfortable, and that I’d cry more than I wanted to, in front of people I didn’t know.
My first night at CR was encouraging - but that night I was there for someone else’s recovery. The first night I was at CR for my own recovery was more difficult. I still wasn’t sure that CR was going to be what I needed, and I was nervous about committing to work through the 12 steps.
Since I have become involved in CR, my life has changed. I have learned about what I have control over, and what I do not have control over, and I’m thankful for that. I have more peace and contentment, and I have a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ than I ever imagined. I have a whole new understanding of God’s grace, and have experienced His forgiveness in a new way. I’ve also learned to forgive myself and others. I am blessed to be able to give back, and to serve in this ministry.

When I first thought about coming to CR, I was part of the leadership team and I was focused mainly on helping out in the ministry. I did not know how much it was going to change my life. The leadership training and taking part in a Step Study was amazingly impacting.

The first night of CR, we had no idea how many people were going to come out.
Since I’ve been involved in CR, it has become one of the most growing experiences of my life. I have gained so much from this ministry. Seeing things put in the context of hurts, habits and hang-ups has been very revealing. I had no idea how much I had needed to look at my habits especially areas in terms of addiction. Coming out of denial about the impact of some of the hurts I have suffered from all my life was especially healing. I am so grateful to God for all He has done for me in this ministry.
When I first thought about coming to CR, I thought I would go to serve, so THOSE people could get the
recovery they were seeking. Initially I didn’t think I needed recovery; I thought I was recovered.
My first night at CR was … well, interesting!

Since I have become involved in CR, my life is totally changing! I found where my thinking was completely ‘messed’ and how it had contributed to who I was and why I did what I did. I thought I was normal until I started CR.
When I first thought about coming to CR I was hopeful because I know that 12 step programs have a good success rate.

My first night at CR was interesting. It was just in the formation stage and there were several people I did not know. The enthusiasm was high and I was encouraged by the commitment of those wanting to serve and lead.
Since I have become involved in CR my life has a new understanding and insight plus I have been given the privilege of co-leading in three group step studies. To see the changes in myself and others is rewarding and exciting. Trust grows in the Lord and in our relationships with each other. This is GOOD. It’s a big commitment and worth every investment of our time, talent and treasure. Praise the Lord!

The sentences above form a platform upon which becoming ready can happen. Our Father is in this mix; He remains fundamentally present, and He offers His foundational promises:

If you are hurt, ‘I will heal you.’

If you are confused, ‘I will lead you.’

If you feel helpless, ‘I will help you.’

If you feel alone, ‘I will comfort you.’

If you feel anxious and afraid, ‘I will offer peace to you.’

"I have seen how they acted, but I will heal them. I will lead them and help them, and I will comfort those who mourn. I offer peace to all, both near and far! I will heal my people."
(Isaiah 57:18-19)
Trusting in His promises, one has the hope of a new, within reach, future. Learning or acquiring new thoughts and behaviours starts with a choice, and moving to readiness.

We can choose to jump passionately toward something dynamic and manageable in Jesus Christ. Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment