Who are the people of influence in your life? What has made them so influential? Now reflect solely on those people of impact that have been a positive influence. What has made that relationship a positive one? What is it that you value most in that person?
As I ponder these questions myself I am in awe of the blessing of such solid friends in my life. These are individuals that accept me unconditionally, challenge me to press on when life is hard, cry with me, fight for me when I feel too weak to fight, hold me accountable in my relationship with the Lord, laugh with me, and celebrate alongside me in the rich gifts of life. They are the ones that I can be the most vulnerable with and share my greatest joys and deepest sorrows with.
Now I ask myself, have I been that person in return? The things that I value most in those who have invested in me, do I also possess those attributes? Do I love and accept without judgment? Am I quick to listen, slow to speak and compassionate in their life circumstance? Am I willing to do whatever it takes to spur them on in their relationship with the Lord and hold them accountable? Do I rejoice with them in the joys of life and ache when they hurt? Do I treat them the way I want to be treated?
When I reflect on relationships in the Bible probably one of the most solid friendships would be that of David and Jonathan. Jonathan did whatever it took to protect David and fight for him. Scripture says that "Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself" (1 Samuel 18:1 NIV). Even after Jonathan passed away, in return David took Jonathan’s son into his home as one of his own. Even after death, the investment in the friendship continued. They loved and cared for each other deeply. The bond that they shared is rare but is one to be treasured and thankful for.
This month in K4 we are focusing on the virtue of Honour- letting someone know you see how valuable they really are. Who are the Davids and Jonathans in your life? They could be friends from the past or friends from today. Why not take the time this month to honour them by letting them know how valuable they are in your life? Send a card, write a letter or email, take them for coffee or give them a call. Make a point of thanking them for the influence and impact they have been in your life. Journey with me in this challenge this month.
No comments:
Post a Comment